Legal Help

Community Legal Education Association (CLEA)

CLEA has a website on which you can find legal information about a variety of topics.

For answers to some frequently asked questions about domestic violence, you can click here:

For help with issues related to intimate partner violence, you can speak with a lawyer from 9:00 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday, by calling 204-943-2240 or 1-866-458-0337 toll free throughout Manitoba.  You can submit a question by email to .

CLEA also has a phone line to call about sexual harassment in the workplace.  You can speak with a lawyer from 9:00 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday, by calling 1-877- 226-4366 toll free throughout Manitoba or ask your question by email at .

If you want to find a lawyer to represent you, you can call 204-943-2305, or 1-800-262-8800 from outside Winnipeg, to see if your situation is appropriate for a referral to a lawyer who will provide a 30 minute free consultation.

Lawyers dealing with IPV Matters

CLEA is working to assemble a list of lawyers who indicate that they have a background in assisting those impacted by relationship or family violence and an interest in representing these clients in family law cases.

Fee arrangements are between the lawyer and client.  Lawyers who have put their names forward may not be able to take on every case.

If you are looking for a lawyer practicing in this area, please see the information below:

Rhea P. Majewski

  • Practicing as Rhea P. Majewski Law Corporation
    Donald & Kehler Law Office
    22 – Sixth Street
    Brandon, MB  R7A 3N1
    Tel: (204) 729-4900
    Fax: (204) 728-4477

Ogo E. Ebubechukwu

  • Barrister, Solicitor & Notary Public
    Ogo Ebubechukwu Law Office
    Unit 104 – 1200 Pembina Highway
    Winnipeg, MB  R3T 2A7
    Tel: (204) 691-9961 ext. 4
    Reception: +1 (833) 763-0777 ext. 2
    Fax: (204) 219-4350
  • Ms. Ebubechukwu advises that she brings a background and training in women’s human rights advocacy, promotion and protection. Languages in which services are provided:  English, Igbo, and Nigerian Pidgin English. On occasion, Legal Aid files are accepted.

Debra Takeuchi

Mitousis Lemieux Howard Law Corporation

A Woman’s Place

A Woman’s Place at NorWest Co-op Community Health offers a multidisciplinary approach to assisting survivors of domestic violence.  They provide counselling and support to women and children.  Services include safety planning, help with Protection Orders, legal consultations and legal representation in some cases.

Legal Aid

The website for Legal Aid Manitoba contains information about how to apply and the kinds of cases that Legal Aid can help with.

Eligibility guidelines for Legal Aid coverage can be found here:

On November 28, 2023, CLEA was pleased to welcome Katherine Dowle, Senior Area Director from Legal Aid Manitoba for a webinar about Legal Aid and the services available:

The Legal Help Centre

The LHC offers free legal information, summary legal advice and referrals to other resources.  Services are available to eligible low income people who do not have lawyers and are facing legal problems:

If you are not eligible for Legal Aid, you may qualify for assistance from The Legal Help Centre.  Their financial guidelines can be found here:

Fort Garry Women’s Resource Centre

For women facing legal issues and who have not had a lawyer helping them, the FGWRC offers legal consultations by appointment once each month.   For information, you can call 204- 477-1123.

More information about the FGWRC can be found here:

Healthy Muslim Families

Healthy Muslim Families is a non-profit organization offering resources and services in line with Islamic values.  HMF offers free legal clinics on topics including Immigration and Family Law along with support for Muslim women facing legal issues:

The Law Society of Manitoba

If you know the name of the lawyer you want to hire, or of the firm where they work, you can find contact information here:

Additional Resources

An overview of Family Law and the legal system is available on the Government of Manitoba website:

The Manitoba Victim Services site contains information about protections available, the court process, the Victim’s Bill of Rights and Compensation for Victims of Crime. The page can be found here:

Victim Services can also help you if you need to end the rental agreement for your home because of domestic violence or stalking:

Information about legal remedies available can also be found on the City of Winnipeg site. This includes information about the role of the police, criminal charges and different kinds of protective orders as well as suggestions for safety planning:

To read about criminal offences related to intimate partner violence and about the laws in each province to address abuse, you can visit the Government of Canada website: