Consumer / Debts

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I purchased a new TV and did not buy the warranty that came with it. The television did not work as soon as I set it up at home. Do I have any recourse?

    There is an implied warranty that retail goods are fit for the purpose for which they are sold, unless a specific defect was mentioned upon the sale. If the store refuses to address the problem, you can contact the Consumers’ Bureau of Manitoba for assistance or consider court action.

    The Consumer Protection office can be contacted by phone at (204) 945-3800, toll-free (outside of Winnipeg) at 1-800-782-0067, or by email at .

  • I received a gift certificate for a manicure and it has an expiry date. I thought that new laws prohibited expiry dates on gift cards or certificates?

    There are certain exceptions to the general rule of no expiry dates for gift cards. If the gift card is for a specific good or service, like a manicure, there may be an expiry date provided. Also, if the gift card was given without any payment (i.e., promotional item) it also may contain an expiry date.

    For more information, visit

  • Can a car dealership sell me a vehicle that is not safetied?

    A dealership must provide you with a Certificate of Inspection (or “safety”) if they are selling you a used vehicle. A Certificate of Inspection ensures that a vehicle meets minimum equipment and performance standards before it can be driven. If the vehicle is new, you should receive a New Vehicle Information Statement.

    For more information, visit

  • I joined a gym and signed a one year membership. Can I change my mind?

    Yes. You have 7 days to cancel the contract, not including Sundays or holidays. To cancel the contract, you must give notice in writing to the gym, clearly saying that you are canceling the contract. You must personally give the notice to the gym at their business address or send it by registered mail to that address.

    For more information, contact the Consumers Bureau at (204) 945-3800, toll-free outside of Winnipeg at 1-800-782-0067, or by emailing .

  • I changed my mind about something that I purchased from a clothing store and they refuse to refund my money or exchange the item. Is this allowed?

    Yes. Businesses are not required to offer a refund or exchange policy. Unless the item is defective or inadequate for the purpose of which it was sold, the business does not have to consider taking the item back.

  • I just bought a new car from a dealer but am having second thoughts. How much time do I have to change my mind?

    None. There is no “cooling off” period after you agree to buy a car from a dealer. Once you sign a contract to buy the car, you have to follow through with what you agreed to. If there is a problem, contact the dealer where you bought the car and explain it to them. They may be willing to deal with you. If you are still not satisfied, contact the Consumer’s Bureau. They might be able to help you find a solution that satisfies both you and the dealer.

  • Someone came to my door selling aluminum siding. I signed the contract but am having second thoughts. How much time do I have to change my mind?

    You have 10 days from the day you get a statement of cancellation rights from the seller.

    If you want to cancel the contract, give written notice to the seller. The notice should clearly say that you are canceling the contract. Give the notice by mail, fax or in person. It is a good idea to make sure that you have proof that you gave the notice.

    Once the contract is canceled, you are entitled to get back any money you paid for the sale, and any goods you gave as a trade-in. For more information, contact the Consumers Bureau.

  • How do I access my credit history?

    You can access your credit history by contacting Equifax Canada at 1-800-465-7166 ( or Trans Union Canada at 1-800-508-2597 (

  • Can a collection agent call me at my place of employment?

    A collection agent can contact you at your place of employment. However, if the contact becomes frequent or harassing in nature, you may want to speak to the Consumer Protection Office about your concerns. The Consumer Protection Office is in charge of licensing collection agents in the province of Manitoba. They can be reached at:

  • Can a collection agent contact me on the weekend?

    A collection agent cannot contact you to demand payment on a Sunday or a holiday. They cannot contact you on any other day of the week before 7:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.

  • I co-signed a loan for someone and they haven’t made their payments. Now the bank is suing me. Can they do this?

    Yes. When you co-sign a loan, you are just as responsible for the loan as the person who received the money. If the person you signed for cannot or does not repay the loan, you will have to.

  • Where can I get help trying to negotiate an outstanding debt with a creditor?

    You can contact Community Financial Counselling Services for help with creditor negotiations at (204) 989-1900 or toll-free at 1-888-573-2383.

  • Do I have to get professional assistance to declare bankruptcy?

    If you voluntarily claim bankruptcy, you must obtain the services of a trustee in bankruptcy. A listing of trustees can be found in your local yellow pages. You can also contact the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy for a referral at (204) 983-3229, or use their online search tool at