Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can apply for a passport for my child if I am divorced?

    If parents are separated or divorced, the parent who has custody of the child must apply. If you have joint custody, then either parent may apply for a passport. You must provide a copy of your divorce judgment or order, and all documents that refer to the child’s custody, mobility, and access. Both parents are requested to sign the application form. Both parents may be contacted by Passport Canada.  If you do not know where the other parent’s current whereabouts to request their involvement, contact Passport Canada for options at 1-800-567-6868.

  • Can Passport Canada do anything if I am concerned about the other parent getting a passport without my consent?

    You can request that Passport Canada add your child’s information to the Passport Program System Lookout List if you are concerned about the safety of your child under 16 years of age. If the other parent submits a passport application, this will alert Passport Canada to undertake additional follow-up before they process the application. They will review whether proper legal documents are submitted and investigate whether there are restrictions on the child’s mobility or issuance of a passport.

    You can contact Passport Canada at 1-800-567-6868

  • Are there any documents besides a passport I will need to travel alone with my child?

    A consent letter may be required in addition to a passport for children traveling with only one parent, legal guardian, or supervising adult. The Government of Canada has a sample consent letter for travel with a child, which can be found here.

    Documents providing evidence of the parenting arrangements for separated or divorced parents may also be helpful. A copy of the court order granting guardianship for legal guardians may be requested. You may want to contact the embassy or consulate for the country for additional entry requirements. Global Affairs Canada can be contacted at: