Family Law / Droit de la famille

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What do I do if I can’t find my spouse and am unable to serve the documents?

    If you have taken reasonable steps to try and find your spouse and can’t find your spouse and can’t find them, you may be able to apply for an order for substituted service from the court.

    If an order for substituted service is granted, the court may allow you to serve the documents in some other way like publishing a notice in a newspaper, or serving the documents on a family member.

    You can apply for an order for substituted service by filing a Notice of Motion (Form 70Q) and an Affidavit (Form 4D). The Affidavit should explain all the attempts that you have made to locate your spouse.

    You can get all of the Court of King’s Bench Forms at this link.

  • Who can apply for a passport for my child if I am divorced?

    If parents are separated or divorced, the parent who has custody of the child must apply. If you have joint custody, then either parent may apply for a passport. You must provide a copy of your divorce judgment or order, and all documents that refer to the child’s custody, mobility, and access. Both parents are requested to sign the application form. Both parents may be contacted by Passport Canada.  If you do not know where the other parent’s current whereabouts to request their involvement, contact Passport Canada for options at 1-800-567-6868.

  • Can Passport Canada do anything if I am concerned about the other parent getting a passport without my consent?

    You can request that Passport Canada add your child’s information to the Passport Program System Lookout List if you are concerned about the safety of your child under 16 years of age. If the other parent submits a passport application, this will alert Passport Canada to undertake additional follow-up before they process the application. They will review whether proper legal documents are submitted and investigate whether there are restrictions on the child’s mobility or issuance of a passport.

    You can contact Passport Canada at 1-800-567-6868

  • Can I apply to court to have a motion or application heard prior to the triage conference?

    You may be able to request an emergent hearing date, before the triage conference, if your situation involves:

    • An immediate or imminent risk of harm to a party or a child of a party;
    • The removal of a child from Manitoba;
    • The loss of destruction of property.

    A February 13, 2020 Practice Direction further clarified that abrupt, unilateral termination of contact may constitute an immediate or imminent risk of harm in certain cases:

    “Additionally, however, an emergent request and emergent relief may be justified in situations where one parent has abruptly, unilaterally and without explanation or apparent justification, completely cut or has “virtually eliminated” all access and/or contact between the other parent and a child or children.”

    You will have to contact your local court office and request the Triage Conference Coordinator. The Triage Conference Coordinator will review your request and your court file to determine whether your file is new, ongoing, or closed with a final order granted. They will provide further advice based upon the status of your file. If you have a new file, the Coordinator may advise proceeding with a request for an emergent hearing if a pleading is filed. You can get the Request for an Emergent Hearing form here:

  • Can any motions be heard by a Master before the triage conference?

    Masters can hear a number of motions prior to a triage conference:

    (a) motions dealing with service of documents, such as substituted service, validated service or requests to extend the time for service;

    (b) a motion for financial disclosure;

    (c) a motion to withdraw as counsel;

    (d) a motion to determine whether a party has satisfied all applicable prerequisites in order to obtain a triage conference date;

    (e) a motion to compel a party to complete applicable prerequisites in order to obtain a triage conference date;

    (f) a motion to appoint a family evaluator under subsection 49(1) of The Court of King’s Bench Act;

    (g) a motion to refer parties to a designated mediator under subsection 47(1) of The Court of King’s Bench Act.

  • Can any motions be heard by a judge before the triage conference?

    Although most motions and applications can’t be dealt with in a family proceeding prior to the triage conference, The Court of King’s Bench Rules lists some exceptions. The following can be dealt with prior:

    • An application under the Family Homes on Reserves and Matrimonial Interests or Rights Act (Canada) for an interim order of exclusive occupation without notice;
    • A motion for an order of reference dealing with the date that cohabitation started or the date of separation;
    • A motion for an order of reference on family property issues unresolved, either by written agreement or court order, with the consent of both parties.
  • When can a motion for support be heard by the court?

    Due to changes to the family court system on February 1, 2019, a motion for support can no longer be heard by the court until after the triage conference. To get a triage conference date, you must first attend triage screening court by filing the following forms:

    Request for Triage Conference (Form 70D.2)

    Certificate of Prerequisite Completion (Form 70D.3)

    Triage Brief (Form 70D.4)

    These forms are supposed to be filed and served on the other party at least 14 days before the proposed triage screening court. At triage screening court, the coordinator will review your file and make sure that the required prerequisites have been completed. If they are satisfied, a triage conference date will be set. If some of the prerequisites have not been met, then the coordinator will let you know what needs to be completed to set a date. If there is a dispute between the parties about the prerequisites, you can schedule a motion before a Master for assistance.

  • How do you file a motion?

    Once you have started a proceeding by filing a Petition, Petition for Divorce, or Notice of Application, you can also apply for an interim order by filing a Notice of Motion and an Affidavit. An interim order is an order of the court intended to decide matters until a final order can be made at trial. Matters such as support often need quick attention by the court when the parties can’t reach an agreement. Interim orders are enforceable in the same way as a final order and they can be extremely important. They may establish a status quo (the way things are currently) that might be difficult to overturn in future court proceedings.

    Parenting arrangements, child and spousal support, occupancy of the home, preservation of property orders, and protection and prevention orders are the types of orders that are commonly granted on an interim motion.

  • What do I prepare in response to a notice of Interrogatories?

    You can use the Form 35B Answers on Interrogatories:

  • What does a case conference judge being “seized” mean?

    It means that the case conference judge must preside at all future case conferences and will hear all motions in the family proceeding.

  • What are case books?

    You may also choose to file a case book. The case book is a document that contains legal cases that are considered relevant to the appeal issues. The book may be filed jointly by both parties. It should be filed within 14 days of when the appellant files the factum if the appellant is filing a case book on their own. It should be filed within 14 days of when the respondent files their factum if it is filed jointly, or if it is filed by just the respondent.

  • Do I have to file my Affidavit of Documents in court?

    An affidavit of documents does not have to be filed in court unless it is relevant to an issue on a pending motion or at trial.

  • What can I do if I lose my job and I am unable to pay for child or spousal support?

    You could return to court and change (vary) your court order when you are able to. You may qualify for Legal Aid assistance with your variation. In the meantime, Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) has the authority to suspend enforcement of support if warranted by the payor’s circumstances. You can get the Form for an Administrative Suspension at the following link:

    You can also contact the Child Support Recalculation Service to see whether they can assist you with applying for a court order authorizing recalculation of your child support order.


    Maintenance Enforcement Program

    (204) 945-7133 or toll free 1-866-479-2717

    Child Support Recalculation Service Office

    (204) 945-2293 or toll free 1-800-282-8069

    Legal Aid Manitoba

    (204) 985-8500 or 1-800-261-2960

  • Is there a way to get child support without going to court?

    The Manitoba Child Support Service can make an initial child support calculation decision. This is done outside of court.  You would provide the Child Support Service with information on the parents, children, incomes, and custody arrangements. It can take between 45-90 days to receive a decision from the Service once you have applied. When you receive a child support calculation decision, it can also be registered with the Maintenance Enforcement Program so that they can enforce payments. You can get an Application for a Child Support Calculation Decision here:

    Child Support Service

    Room 201-373 Broadway,
    Winnipeg MB, R3C 4S4
    (204) 945-2293

  • Où dois-je obtenir une ordonnance de la cour de famille?

    Dans les régions de Winnipeg, Selkirk et Brandon vous déposer à la Cour du Banc de la Reine (Division de la famille) pour toutes les ordonnances de la cour de la famille (soutien, divorce, partage des biens etc.). Si vous vivez dans une zone rurale au-delà de ces communautés, vous pouvez déposer à la Cour provinciale si vous demandez la garde, l’accès aux enfants, le soutien et les ordonnances de protection. Vous devez déposer à la Cour du Banc de la Reine si vous demandez le divorce, le partage des biens, ou pour une ordonnance du tribunal portant sur l’accès ou de restreindre l’accès à la propriété.

    Il y a une liste de la Cour du Banc de la Reine des endroits au lien suivant sur ​​le site Web des tribunaux du Manitoba:

    Les tribunaux provinciaux peuvent être trouvés à l’adresse suivante sur le site Web des tribunaux du Manitoba:

  • Où puis-je trouver des informations sur les frais de la cour?

    Les frais de justice sont énoncées sur le site Web des tribunaux du Manitoba:

    Certains frais communs incluent: 160$ pour déposer une requête en divorce, y compris une recherche centrale du Registre des divorces, 150$ pour déposer une pétition, 35 $ pour déposer une réponse, 150 $ pour un avis de demande et 35 $ pour un avis de motion.

  • Comment saurai-je si faire une pétition, ou une pétition pour le divorce est la meilleur façon de commencer le processus de la cour familiale?

    Si vous êtes marié, vous déposer une requête en divorce, si vous demandez un divorce, peu importe si vous demandez d’autres secours de la famille (soutien, la garde, le partage des biens) ou pas.

    Si vous êtes célibataire, ou de droit commun, vous déposez une pétition. Si vous êtes marié, mais ne demande pas un divorce, vous déposez une pétition.

  • Y a-t-il d’autres documents qui peuvent être déposés pour commencer une instance de la cour familiale?

    Vous devez déposer un avis de demande d’entamer des procédures judiciaires comme les adoptions, la tutelle et les demandes d’accès par une personne autre qu’un parent. Vous n’avez qu’à déposer une déclaration de réclamation si vous avez affaire à un litige civil.

  • Quand dois-je deposer un état financier?

    Si vous demandez une pension alimentaire pour enfants, pension alimentaire pour époux, le partage des biens, ou de répondre à une demande de pension ou le partage des biens, vous devez déposer un état financier. Si vous demandez,  ou êtes répondants à une demande de pension alimentaire pour enfants, qui ne comporte pas le partage des biens, pour un enfant mineur sur la base du montant de la table des lignes directrices de soutien des enfants et que la somme de votre revenu n’est pas nécessaire de déterminer la pension alimentaire, vous n’aurez pas besoin de déposer un état financier.

    Par exemple, si vous avez la garde de votre enfant au moins 61 % du temps. Si votre information sur le revenu est nécessaire pour déterminer le soutien que la partie I de la fiche financière, l’état financier doit être déposée et signifiée.

    Par exemple, vous êtes le parent payeur qui a la garde à moins de 40 % du temps. Les parties trois et quatre de la déclaration financière doivent être déposées si vous ne demandez pas ou de répondre à une demande de l’enfant ou la pension alimentaire, mais il y a des questions de partage des biens.

    Les règles concernant le dépôt des états financiers lors du démarrage de la procédure judiciaire peut être trouvé à l’adresse suivante:

  • Comment est-ce que mon ex-partenaire saura ce que j’ai déposé en cour?

    Vous devez donner les documents judiciaires à votre ex-conjoint (servir des documents) afin que votre ex-partenaire sache que vous avez commencé une procédure judiciaire. Si vous avez déposé une pétition, requête en divorce, ou un avis de motion de modification, vous devez servir ces documents personnellement. Cela signifie que le document doit être remis en personne à l’autre partie. Cependant, vous ne pouvez pas être le seul à servir personnellement. Vous devez obtenir une autre personne, comme un ami, membre de la famille, ou d’un serveur de processus pour leur donner la pétition, requête en divorce, ou l’avis de motion de modification. La personne qui sert votre ex-partenaire remplira et assermenter un document appelé un affidavit de signification qui fournit des détails sur la façon dont ils ont servi votre ex-partenaire.

  • Que dois-je faire si je ne trouve pas mon conjoint pour leur server des documents?

    Si vous avez pris des mesures raisonnables pour essayer de localiser votre conjoint et ne pouvez pas les trouver, vous pourriez être en mesure de demander une ordonnance de la cour pour le service substitué. Si une ordonnance de signification indirecte est accordée, le tribunal peut vous permettre de servir les documents d’une autre manière, par exemple par la publication dans un journal ou de servir à un membre de leur famille.

    Vous pouvez demander un ordre de service de substitution en déposant un avis de motion et un affidavit attestant de toutes les tentatives que vous avez faites pour localiser votre conjoint.