Debtors & Creditors

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I access my credit history?

    You can access your credit history by contacting Equifax Canada at 1-800-465-7166 ( or Trans Union Canada at 1-800-508-2597 (

  • Can a collection agent call me at my place of employment?

    A collection agent can contact you at your place of employment. However, if the contact becomes frequent or harassing in nature, you may want to speak to the Consumer Protection Office about your concerns. The Consumer Protection Office is in charge of licensing collection agents in the province of Manitoba. They can be reached at:

  • Can a collection agent contact me on the weekend?

    A collection agent cannot contact you to demand payment on a Sunday or a holiday. They cannot contact you on any other day of the week before 7:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.

  • I co-signed a loan for someone and they haven’t made their payments. Now the bank is suing me. Can they do this?

    Yes. When you co-sign a loan, you are just as responsible for the loan as the person who received the money. If the person you signed for cannot or does not repay the loan, you will have to.

  • Where can I get help trying to negotiate an outstanding debt with a creditor?

    You can contact Community Financial Counselling Services for help with creditor negotiations at (204) 989-1900 or toll-free at 1-888-573-2383.

  • Do I have to get professional assistance to declare bankruptcy?

    If you voluntarily claim bankruptcy, you must obtain the services of a trustee in bankruptcy. A listing of trustees can be found in your local yellow pages. You can also contact the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy for a referral at (204) 983-3229, or use their online search tool at