Government Benefits

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the Canada Recovery Hiring Program (CRHP)?

    The Canada Recovery Hiring Program (CRHP) is a program that is designed to help businesses hire staff as the economy reopens. The program provides subsidies of up to 50% of eligible salaries or wages. The CRHP is available retroactively to June 6, 2021.

    The CRHP is designed to interact with the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS). Business owners can apply for either the CRHP or the CEWS, but not both. To help figure out which subsidy program would be better for you, visit the subsidy amount calculator here.

    For more information, see the CRHP homepage here.


  • What relief is available for seniors?

    The Manitoba government has provided a one-time refundable tax credit of $200 to Manitoba seniors. To qualify for this credit, you must:

    • Be 65 years or older in 2020,
    • Live in Manitoba in 2020, and
    • File an income tax return as a Manitoba resident.

    The government has mailed out advance payments of this credit to Manitoba seniors who filed a 2018 tax return. If you qualify but do not receive a cheque in May or June, you can claim the amount on your 2020 income tax return.

    The federal government has also committed to a one-time, tax-free payment of $300 to seniors who are eligible for the Old Age Security (OAS) pension. An additional $200 will be available to seniors who are eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS). This payment will be applied automatically to seniors who are already receiving the OAS pension and GIS payments.

    If you qualify for the OAS pension and/or GIS but have not been automatically enrolled, you may need to apply here:

  • Are there benefits available for students?

    The federal government’s CESB (Canada Emergency Student Benefit) provides support to students and new graduates who are not eligible for the CERB or Employment Insurance or are not able to work due to COVID-19.  Eligible students can receive $1,250 per month ($2000 per month if they have dependants or are disabled). The benefit is available from May – August 2020.

    For more information on who qualifies and how to apply, visit the Government of Canada website:

    In addition, both federal and provincial student loan payments are suspended until September 30, 2020.  No interest will be added during this period.

  • What benefits are available for Canadians affected by COVID-19?

    Information about benefits available through the federal government: View website

    Manitoba government information about benefits:  View website

    CBC guide to the benefits the federal government, provinces and territories are offering to people financially affected by the coronavirus:  View website